1. It is the ONLY parrot food on the market that has all genuinely Organic, Natural, and Sustainably-farmed healthy ingredients.
3. All other pellets and manufactured diets on the market contain unhealthy or even toxic ingredients including soy, synthetic nutrients and vitamins, menadione, copper sulfate, maltodextrin, food coloring, BHA and other questionable additions. (Please see the short articles with links at the bottom of this article on why these ingredients should not be in your parrots' diet.)
4. TOPS is a cold-rolled pellet and not an extrusion. Extruded (crunchy) pellets are heated at such a high temperature that heat-sensitive nutrients are lost in the high-temperature manufacturing process. This is not true of cold-rolled pellets which keep their nutrition within their expiration date.
6. There are quite a few people that disagree with me on my nutritional advice and TOPS. After the time I spent looking at and researching the ingredients in all of the pelleted diets marketed in the United States I believe that my conclusions are logical and common sense. People shouldn't be feeding toxic ingredients in any amount to their parrots.
7. My first decision was that Harrisons calling itself organic has fooled many people. My thought is how can a food be called organic when only its fairly non-nutritive base foods such as corn, peanuts, and soy are organic but it is supplemented with several synthetic vitamins. They are NOT organic and many synthetic nutrients are manufactured using coal tar, which is considered to be a carcinogen.
8. While I am a firm believer in a great deal of science, I have a lot of concern about highly processed foods for parrots (and other pets) that are supposedly scientifically valid. When I am asked to verify my beliefs that human-grade genuinely natural or organic real food is healthier than highly processed food with chemicals I have no reason to continue the conversation. I have been asked to provide 5 peer-reviewed scientific papers to prove my position. Give me a break – to me, it is common sense that I don't want to feed my parrots (or other pets) or recommend highly processed food with artificial food coloring, soy, synthetic nutrients (some of which are reported to be carcinogenic), and other problems.
9. The other pellet companies will continue to tell us that these ingredients I am concerned about are in such small amounts they will not cause problems but then they want you to feed their foods as a total diet for the rest of your parrot's life – it will be a shorter life feeding 100% of most of the pellets on the market.
10. This doesn't even touch the concept that fresh foods provide foraging opportunities, and stimulates curiosity. That is covered in my article that sums all of this up in great detail - Pelleted Diets, Veterinarians, and the "Idiotic Factor" (Link below)
THESE ARE THE AMAZING ORGANIC INGREDIENTS
Organic hulled millet, organic alfalfa, organic barley, organic rice, organic sunflower seed hulled, organic sesame seeds unhulled, organic quinoa whole, organic buckwheat hulled, organic dandelion leaf powder, organic carrot powder, organic spinach leaf powder, organic purple dulse, organic kelp, organic rosehip powder, organic rosehips crushed, organic orange peel powder, organic lemon peel powder, organic rosemary whole leaf, organic cayenne ground, organic crushed red chili peppers, organic nettle leaf.